Long County School System
P.O. BOX 428 | 468 S. MCDONALD STREET | LUDOWICI, GA 31316
TEL: (912) 545-2367 | FAX: (912) 545-2380
This website is an informational resource for parents, students, teachers and staff with a goal to provide relevant, accurate and timely information. Please feel free to email the webmaster if you have any updates, changes, broken links, or recommendations for improvement.
Long County Schools | 468 S. McDonald Street | P.O. Box 428 | Ludowici GA | PH (912) 545-2367 | FAX (912) 545-2380
Official Website of Long County School System (Sponsored by Title I)
Welcome to the Transportation Department
The goal of the Transportation Department is to support the educational process by providing safe, dependable and efficient student transportation to and from school and school related activities.
Key areas in the Transportation Department are:
Training and Safety
Routing and Scheduling
School Bus Operations
School Bus Maintenance
Safety is a high priority and it takes a group effort. Drivers, students, parents, teachers and school administrators are all assigned that responsibility. The Long County School System has highly trained and certified school bus drivers committed to the safe transportation of your child(ren). Our Team will assist your bus rider(s) in learning acceptable behavior to safely travel on our school buses. We sincerely invite you, as parents, to become a member of our team.
- Ensure your child knows their bus number before they leave home on their first day of school.It will take the driver time to learn each child's name and where their stop will be. We want to make sure your child does not get on/off at an incorrect bus stop. Fill out and return a Rider Information Sheet to the bus driver at the beginning of school.
- Ensure your child is at the bus stop at least five(5) minutes earlier than the scheduled pick-up time. Pick-up times are approximated and unknown circumstances have guaranteed that at times a bus will run earlier or later to the stop than expected. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their child(ren) at the bus stop. The school's responsibility begins when students board the bus. For information on an approximate pick-up time, call the Transportation Department at (912) 545-2350.
- Ensure young children have someone to come home to in the afternoon. Departure time from the school is at 3:10 p.m. Your child will arrive at home sometime within 45 minutes. Parents should be at the bus stop to receive their young child as they get off the bus in the afternoon.
- Ensure your child knows the School Bus Safety Guidelines listed below. Bus riding is a service that our school system provides for you and a privilege for your child(ren). Student misbehavior causing driver distraction jeopardizes the safety of all students on the bus. Students are required to follow the driver’s directions and district safety rules to ensure a safe ride. Students that do not follow the driver’s directions or misbehave can and will have consequences that includes bus suspension (see "Ride Guide Consequences in Student Handbook").
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY GUIDELINES
- Students must arrive at bus stop 5 minutes before scheduled time.
- Students must remain quiet enough not to distract the driver. Radios, disc players, MP3s, or cell phones are NOT ALLOWED.
- Student must remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- Students must occupy the seat to which they are assigned. All students will have assigned seats.
- Students are to be seated with feet on the floor and book bag in their lap. Students must keep hands and feet to themselves.
- Students must not throw objects in the bus nor out the window.
- Students must not extend arms, head, or other parts of the body out the windows.
- Students must not destroy school property.
- Students must remain absolutely quiet at railroad grade crossings.
- Students must not eat or drink on the bus for their safety and the safety of other students.
- Student must not use or possess tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or weapons.
- Students must not use obscene language or gestures.
- Students must follow all instructions given by driver.
- Students disciplinary action will follow the guidelines in the student handbook and the Georgia Official Code of Law* and will be implemented by the administrator at your child's school.
*Georgia Code 20-2-1181: "It shall be unlawful for any person to disrupt or interfere with the operation of any public school, public school bus, or public school bus stop as designated by local school boards of education. Any person violating this code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature."
(See Employment Page
for an Application)
For bus route information, call the Transportation Department at (912) 545-2350.
8:00am - 2:35pm
8:00am - 3:00pm
7:55am - 3:00pm
8:00am - 3:00pm